Officially the date for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea fundraiser may have passed but it’s not too late to top up on baking soda, eggs and flour, and do your bit.
Cancer Council has extended its campaign beyond the May 25 tentpole event to run until the end of June.
Register to host at biggestmorningtea.com.au or call 1300 65 65 85 to receive your free morning tea host kit with everything you need to plan your event including theme ideas, decorating inspiration, fundraising tips, recipes and bunting.
To help inspire you to jump on board the campaign this year, NSW Cancer Council has compiled a fabulous free cookbook containing 29 delicious morning tea recipes.
The cookbook also contains a selection of personal stories from VIP hosts, who collectively raise hundreds of thousands of dollars each year to fund Cancer Council NSW’s research, prevention, advocacy and support services.
Download your free version by clicking here.
The Marchant family of Young, NSW, who have contributed a recipe to the e-book, has made Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea an annual tradition for the past 15 years in honour of their father Jack, whom they lost to lung cancer.
A few months before his death, Jack saw a TV ad for the event, now its 24th year, and suggested that the family take part.
Sadly, Jack died before he could enjoy the morning tea with his wife Dawn, now 89, and family, but the Marchant’s continue hosting each year in his honour.
“When we first started doing it, my son asked me if I was worried that no one would come or we wouldn’t raise enough money. I just said, even if it’s just 50 cents it will be something,” says Dawn.
The Marchant Family Lime Meringue
Serves: 16, Preparation: 20 minutes, Cooking: 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (80g) pure icing sugar
- 150g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 tsp iced water
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tsps finely grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lime juice
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (25g) flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 20 x 20cm lamington pan, line base and sides with baking paper.
- Blend or process the flour, icing sugar, butter and water until ingredients just cling together. Bring mixture together with hands then press evenly over base of prepared pan. Bake for about 18 minutes or until browned.
- Just before baking, combine condensed milk, egg yolks, lime rind and juice in a small bowl. Pour over base. Bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, gradually add the caster sugar and beat until sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue over lime filling and sprinkle with coconut. Bake for 7 minutes or until slightly browned. Cool in pan. Cut into rectangles to serve.