If there is one thing that conjures up long, hot summer days, it’s the floaty dress. Easy to wear, comfortable, stylish, feminine and versatile.
For me I absolutely love the midi dress. The wearability of the summer dress is one of the biggest reasons I love them. You don’t need to think about it, it’s dressing on the go, just slap on some lippy, a pair of sunnies and you are good to go. You can dress them up with heels, or down with flat slides, it couldn’t get any easier.
Long gone are the days of the ‘sack’ dress – think ‘tent’. The summer dresses of today come in all sorts of shapes and fabrics. Wrap, slip, midi, coverup and anything in-between.
Anyone can look great in a summer dress, any age and any shape. In fact, the wrap dress is one of the most flattering you’ll get, but there are many more that are just as great.
My top tips
- Fabric is key, chose fabric that will breathe in summer and is comfortable
- Wear the correct underwear – this is a not-negotiable. Nude is best if you are wearing lighter colours
- If the fabric is shear, wear a slip (or a half-slip)
- If you don’t’ like your arms try a dress with capped or longer sleeves
- Midi is a great length if you want to hide your legs, or a midi wrap that will hide your legs but give you a peek of leg when walking (very sexy yet sophisticated)
- Don’t be afraid of colour or patterns – often a pattern can hide a multitude of sins
- One dress can take you from day to night – just change up your shoes and accessories
- You can always belt a baggy dress if you don’t feel comfortable. Let’s face it, those incredible baggy dresses look great if you are 6ft tall and rail thin, but not so great on someone like me, 5ft 3
- Slightly off the shoulder can be very flattering. Always play up your best features
Most importantly, have fun with it, wear it your way and be bold.