As I am typing this, I can’t get the chorus to Prince’s classic hit Purple Rain out of my head.
Yes, if you haven’t twigged already, I am totally addicted to this year’s Pantone Colour of the Year which comes in many shades, from a lilac, lavender to a powerful bold bright purple, and I am absolutely crushing over it.
I’ve started to see it all over the European blogs (and that’s when you know it’s big).
Those ultra cool Nordic girls (even cooler), street style bloggers are popping up in every shade of purple, making it cool again in all sorts of guises from check to block colours.
It’s actually making me pine for winter again (okay – just for a nano second), laying a cool skirt with a chunky lavender knit teamed with booties.
However, for us Aussies and Kiwis that are well into spring and heading into summer, think purple toned slip dresses, or the ever-popular slip skirt – just pair with a white shirt, or singlet.
Or, add a pop of purple with a small cross body bag, or a belt bag which are out in a big way this summer – who would have thought we’d be seeing these again!
Everyone I’ve seen who is wearing purple, I have absolutely loved.
It’s not a colour we see often, and for that very reason alone, I love it. I love that it makes you look different, you stand out and the colour (with all the different shades) can suit anyone.
I plan to add it to my summer wardrobe, and into my 2019 winter wardrobe. For summer I am thinking floral midi dress with a touch of purple.
- Find a shade that suits you – there are so many to choose from one is bound to suit your skin tone
- Neutrals look great with purple
- Floral with a touch of purple is a good option if you wanting just a hint of colour
Checks are big at the moment – and a check with a hint of purple adds a modern on trend element
- Belt bags are huge! Try one in purple to add a pop of colour to a neutral coloured outfit
- A pop of purple with accessories such as shoes can elevate an all-black outfit
- If in doubt, check out fashion blogs for inspiration – you’ll start to see a lot of purple
Most of all, don’t be afraid, just do it! It’s a colour that will make you happy, and I can assure you, you will get a lot of compliments
Colour is age-friendly, in fact a pop of colour can make you look fresher, brighter and just happier. Go for it.