Throw out the rule book, embrace colour and loose all your inhibitions, because this seasons colour palate is bright, bold and this week I am heroing yellow.
It’s a colour I have long admired, it’s my happy colour, just looking at it makes me smile. It reminds me of summer.
The question beckons though, would I be bold enough to wear it and stand out? You bet your bottom dollar I would be.
My favourite knit is a yellow one that I team with denim. Every time I wear it, I get comments. My trick is to wear it when I am having a terrible day, one of those dreaded hormonal days, when I feel dreadful.
Nothing perks you up quicker than a compliment – there you go, a little fashion ‘life hack’.
Don’t get me wrong, yellow can be a hard shade to pull off, so it comes down to picking the right tones for your skin type, but get this right and it will pay off in spades.
So many people are afraid of colour because they will stand out, especially in their midlife. Don’t be, as there is no faster way to brighten up dull skin, a dull day or a dull outfit by injecting colour.
One of my favourite combinations here is the yellow pants and black tee. Classic, simple yet very stylish.
I had a follower on our Instagram page send me a picture, she was at a function and wore a yellow suit, my god, she looked sensational.
Everyone else was pretty much in black. She stood out for all the right reasons. She looks classic, yet edgy, funky, fun and young. What a difference a pop of yellow made. So, don’t be afraid, go for it.
- Yellow flatters warm skin tones, you can pretty much pull off any shade of yellow. There are numerous shades of yellow, just find one that suits your skin tone
- Yellow blazers look great worn with denim and a plain tee
- Yellow pants look sensational when worn with black top
- Try a pair of yellow shoes with a plain black outfit
- Add a pop of colour with accessories, such as a bag, glasses or shoes – this is a great way to introduce colour if you are a little shy
- A yellow coat looks incredible
- Colour block and really go bold to stand out – think yellow with bright pink
- In summer nothing looks more fresh than white wide leg pants and a yellow top
- Introduce yellow in florals if you aren’t too keen to go to bold
Don’t forget fashion is fun, it’s not rocket science. Enjoy it, wear what makes you feel happy, and remember that yellow works all year round. In winter it adds much needed colour and in summer it just screams hot warm long days.
At the end of the day, there are no rules, the only rule is wear what you love.