Summer is all about warm days, easy breezy fashion, floaty fabrics and the very versatile skirt.
I always thought I was too short to wear a midi, then I started to notice some pretty cool fashion bloggers who are under 5ft 5 absolutely rocking the midi skirt trend, so I jumped onboard and haven’t looked back.
In winter I wear a pleat skirt with tights, booties and a chunky knit. It’s my go-to look. Easy and super comfy but slightly edgy, on-trend and ageless.
In summer, well, my options are endless. So easy to dress up or down, simple yet stylish. My go to is a midi in any colour (I has a few brights, a classic black and a lemon colour (sounds horrid but I lived in its last summer), slip on some slides, a cute tee or singlet and you are good to go. On those days that aren’t too hot, I just add a shirt tied up at the front with a knot.
If I am going out, I’ll slip on some heels and add a dressier top, usually a singlet in a more luxury fabric such as silk (or the less expensive satin).
All the High Street stores are selling skirts this season; think Glassons, H & M, Target, Country Road, Kmart, Storm (NZ store, and online), Trenery, Witchery, Sportsgirl and just about everyone in-between. Feather & Noise are a great online store, especially if you are on a budget. Designer stores also have some incredible options too.
- Anyone can wear a midi skirt, but just make sure the fabric and cut is flattering to your shape
- Satin and silk are big this summer, make sure the fabric is lined, or wear a slip – a good slip can hide a multitude of sins (for me it hides any lumps and bumps)
- They look great paired with flats, sneakers, slides or heels
- Midi skirts are easy to dress up or dress down with a change of shoes and top
- There are so many cuts and fabrics to choose from, just go with what you feel great in
Don’t’ be afraid of colour
- A pleat skirt is really flattering as the pleats hide any bumps
- Tuck in your top, it looks more flattering
- In the cooler evenings a cropped leather jacket or denim jacket looks great
Most importantly wear it your way and have fun!