That’s what if feels like when I put on a pair of bright shoes. I can’t explain it, I just feel happier. If it’s winter and I am in all black, nothing beats putting on a bold pair of boots, or in summer a pair of bright sandals.
I do have a slight confession to make, it’s only taken me 30-plus years to be brave enough to slip back into something bolder and daring again.
The first time I was about 16 and Emilia Wickstead’s (fashion designer to the royals) mum Angela had designed the most incredible dress for me to wear to a destination wedding, and insisted that I also wear a pair of suede green shoes that she’d imported from Italy to go with the dress.
I did (a little hesitantly) and ended up loving them, they took my dress to another level.
But as I went through those awkward late teen years my confidence dropped and I slipped unhappy back to black.
This time around, I started off slowly, with a gold pair of slides that I’d wear in summer, just a simple pair of slip-ons. Everyone commented on how great they looked.
I then moved a bit more confidentially into a pair of green high heels that I wore with jeans and a pretty top, then more boldly into a pair of red booties – I wear these with a pain black dress in winter and loved myself something stupid each time I wore them.
They gave me confidence, and let’s face it, the older I get the more I just don’t care what others think. I loved them, I wore them and a felt good in them.
This year white is making a comeback, there have been white booties throughout winter, and this summer I have seen the multi-coloured sandal being front and centre. I say go for it, mix it up. I promise you’ll feel great.
The first time out you’ll feel a bit ‘out there’, but that passes, you feel different, you stand out from the pack, you are expressing yourself as an individual, and that’s not just good, that’s bloody great!
My top tips
- Bright and bold is not for everyone
- If you want to dip your toes in (sorry for the pun) you can start with a summer slide in a colour – which will look great with summer dresses and white or black (and pretty much everything in between)
- Never mix colours just doesn’t apply now days – you can wear whatever you like. In fact, print mixing has never been more on trend
- The brighter the better
- Be bold, stand out and own it
- A pop of colour to an all-black or white outfit looks great
- Start slowly, introduce colour when you feel ready, but I promise you’ll feel great for it
- A great pair of coloured shoes can elevate any outfit
More importantly, wear the shoes your way. If you feel great, that’s all that matters. Just remember, there is nothing wrong with standing out from the crowd.