This week’s fashion is all about the wide leg jean. A hark back to the 70s, but one that’s timeless and ageless.
These jeans do look great on anybody at any age. If you are tall enough (lucky you) they look great paired with both heels and flats (think a cool slide) and if you are on the shorter side like me, think a nice elongating heel.
I’ve got two pairs of these jeans, one darker for winter and one lighter for the warmer months. I always wear mine with a strappy heel. They actually make my legs look longer (there is a god!).
@tashsefton below left, always looks stylish. I love how she takes a classic and pulls it off so beautifully. If you don’t follow her, you should – she has incredible style.
They can be dressed up with a great cami or beautiful top (think Zimmerman or something similar) or dressed down with a tee-shirt and blazer. There are numerous ways to wear this look. I personally think it looks effortless, classic and well put together. Simple dressing at its best.
I prefer my denim with a bit of stretch, or if not stretch then a lighter denim – comfort is key, as is the fit. They do need to be a great fit around the waist (mid-high waist looks best) and the length needs to just skim the floor, or just a tiny bit above the floor.
If you need to get them tailored, go for it. I got my waist altered and it was $35. The length was fine on me as I purchased a cropped style, that ended up being the perfect long line length (must skimming the floor) as I’m short – bonus.
@fionafalkiner looks incredible in these casual wide leg light denim jeans from @bohemiantraders (I love their jeans – they do a brilliant all-inclusive range).
Never let anyone tell you that you can’t wear something because of your age! Wear what you love, what you feel good in and wear it your way.
Fashion is fun, fashion is what you make it, not what someone else’s tells you it is.
Here’s to wearing what you love and how you love to wear it.
- Use a tailor to get the perfect fit. The cost will pay off in dividends, because you will get a lot of wear out of these jeans. A tailor can alter the length, the waist and much more. We all have different body shapes, so most of us need a bit of tailoring.
- Tailoring can take a cheap pair of jeans and make them look expensive. Fit is key.
- Wash your denim inside out and on a cold cycle.
- Most stores are selling the wide leg style, everyone from Target, Country Road, Bohemian Traders to most high street stores and major retailers.
- Try on a heap of different brands – I always go for a denim with a slight stretch, as it feels more comfortable. If you are shorter take a pair of heels with you. I always shop instore out of peak hours if I can (way less stressful!)
- Try and keep the look balanced – a less voluminous top works well.
- This look is a great day to night look – just change your top and shoes.
- I’ve seen very lean and also curvy ladies wearing these jeans, and they both looked incredible.
Most importantly, wear what you love, how you love it and with confidence. If you feel great, you’ll look great too.