Can you wear wide-leg pants? Yes, you can!
Now, before all you shorties yell, “I can’t wear a wide-leg, I’m too short!”, trust me, you can wear them.
I’m short and used to think the same thing, until I went into Country Road this last winter and tried on a pair of wide-leg denim jeans.
To say I was impressed was an understatement. All of a sudden, my legs looked long and lean, it was like looking at a completely different person (minus the head of course!).
I actually tried on slightly cropped wide-leg, which on my frame were the perfect fit, just skimming the floor (when paired with heels). I kept the top minimal and fitted and couldn’t have been more chuffed with myself. I was converted.
So, as summer has arrived, I’ve decided to get another pair. A loose, high-waisted pair that I am going to wear with a fitted singlet and slides.
As the fabric is lighter and floatier, they look good with flats. It’s all about confidence. I love the easy, classic, floaty, cool holiday look. Just add sunnies and you are good to go.
Linen is big this summer, and most shops are stocking them, from the high street stores like Country Road, Witchery, Seed Heritage, Sports Girl, and Trenery. For a wider range from different designers head to David Jones. There are so many styles and fabrics to choose from.
My style mentor for the wide leg look is Elle MacPherson. She always looks so effortlessly cool. I don’t look anything like her, nor am I six-foot-tall, but it doesn’t mean I can’t take inspiration from her.
Wear what you love and wear it with confidence.
• Pair with a minimal top (I prefer a singlet in summer).
• Also get them tailored if the length isn’t right, it’s worth the cost.
• I prefer mine skimming the floor (not touching it – that would drive me nuts, but just above it).
• I like a lighter pair in summer, but did see someone in a black floaty pair with a white singlet, she looked amazing.
• If you are going for lighter, make sure you wear skin coloured underwear.
• For hot climates linen works well.
• I prefer mine high wasted as my waist is the smallest part, and it also makes your legs look longer.
• Keep the look minimal, just add a great pair so sunnies, a cool pair of slides (sandals) and you a good to go.
• If you are wearing linen, I always handwash mine. I put a pair in the washing machine last summer and they shrunk about two sizes.